Forum

January 2024 TAT Forum

This month’s contents include:

Convictions & Concerns: Letter To A Sad, Confused Friend, by B.H.

TAT Foundation News: Including the calendar of 2024 TAT events and a listing of local group meetings organized by TAT members.

Humor

Inspiration & Irritation

Reader Commentary: What Have You Come to Terms With?

Founder’s Wisdom

A New Home for TAT update

Saturday, January 27, 2024
More information and registration

Keep informed of TAT events and receive our free monthly Forum filled with inspiring essays, poems and images.

Receive new-Forum notifications each month and keep them coming:

Read More

(As an Amazon Associate, TAT earns from qualifying purchases made through links on our website … or save this link to use.)

Convictions & Concerns

TAT members share their personal convictions and/or concerns

Letter To A Sad, Confused Friend

I can relate to the feeling you wrote about, about not being suicidal but entertaining the concept of death as an escape. Sorry you’re going through that, it’s a really tough place to be. I remember lying face down on my bed, must have been summer 2016, feeling like everything, even getting up, was pointless, and the next thought was “what if you just died”. But even that wasn’t satisfying. What I can say about it now is that “this too shall pass” and that it will get better in a way you can’t even imagine now. Moods can be very convincing, but they come and go. I think not too long from now you’ll look back at this time from an entirely new perspective, and not just from the perspective of “I feel sad now but hopefully I’ll feel happy later.” What I mean is I believe you’ll see the seesaw of happy-sad from a third perspective. From personal experience, you don’t even have to be enlightened to get at least to that place.

What you wrote here really stuck out to me because I think it really touches your frustration and feeling of lack of progress:

I feel I am just doing stuff in my life without any conviction, which is horrifying to me. I don’t have any sense that I’m where I’m supposed to be, or following my heart, or pursuing a dream. These are all beliefs that helped me take action in the past. Now I feel I am doing things because it’s what I was doing before I lost conviction in myself. I still have plenty of ego, but it’s not some of the same egos that I was used to. I read about neurosis as people who get their sense of self from their own suffering, and that seems a little bit accurate for me these days. I think “I don’t know what I’m doing” is also kind of an expression that I don’t see much hope these days, which is also scary for me to reveal to myself or anyone else.

Like we talked about on the phone a month or two ago, maybe at a more surface level, you want the bad feelings to go away and the good feelings to stay. BUT that at the core of it what you want is Certainty, and what you resist and fear is Uncertainty. You want to know for sure you’re doing life right.

These are some different ways I could sum up and then question this problem of yours that’s been going on the last year or two in that context:

Read More

~ Thanks to B.H. Photo by Gemma Evans on Unsplash. Comments or questions? Please email reader commentary to the TAT Forum.

TAT Foundation News

It’s all about “ladder work” – helping and being helped

Richard Rose, the founder of the TAT Foundation, spent his life searching for the Truth, finding it, and helping others to find their Way. Although not well known to the public, he touched the lives of thousands of spiritual seekers through his books and lectures and through personal contacts with local study groups that continue to work with his teachings today. He felt strongly that helping others generates help for ourselves as well in our climb up the ladder to the golden find beyond the mind.

Call To Action For TAT Forum Reader

With the intention of increasing awareness of TAT’s meetings, books, and the Forum among younger serious seekers, and to increase awareness of ways to approach the search for self-definition, the TAT Foundation is now on Instagram.

You can help! A volunteer is producing shareable text-quote and video content of Richard Rose and TAT-adjacent teachers. We need your suggestions for short, provocative 1-3 sentence quotes or 1 minute or less video clips of people like Rose, Art Ticknor, Bob Fergeson, Tess Hughes, Bob Cergol, Bart Marshall, Shawn Nevins, Anima Pundeer, Norio Kushi, Paul Rezendes, Paul Constant, & other favorites. (An example here is selected by the TAT member who volunteers to oversee the Instagram account.)

Please send favorite inspiring/irritating quotes—from books you have by those authors, from the TAT Forum, or any other place—to TAT quotes. If you have favorite parts of longer videos (ex: from a talk at a past TAT meeting), please email a link to the video and a timestamp.

Thank you!

After the Absolute: The Inner Teachings of Richard Rose

Transcript approved by authors now available, or purchase on Amazon.

Richard Rose was an unlikely Zen master…. David Gold was an unlikely student….

“After the Absolute is one of the most gripping, intensely interesting, dramatic, and indeed romantic-heroic-mythic, yet poignantly human accounts I have ever read….” ~ Joseph Chilton Pearce, author of The Crack in the Cosmic Egg.

TAT Foundation Press’s latest publications

Shades of Real: Poems in a World of Wonder

Shades of Real by Kevin Shuey is now available in print and Kindle versions on Amazon.com. Discover a captivating compilation of poems that gracefully ride the waves of each fleeting moment, inviting readers into moments of tranquil excitement and resounding quietude. Within these pages lie enigmatic verses that lead us to the very heart of our true selves, unraveling the profound mysteries that define us.

Please add your review to the Amazon listing. It makes a difference!

Pouring Concrete: A Zen Path to the Kingdom of God – Expanded Edition

Pouring Concrete by Bob Harwood is now available in print and Kindle versions on Amazon.com. Individuals who approach this book with receptivity and a readiness to scrutinize their culturally ingrained notions and convictions regarding the fundamental fabric of existence are likely to experience a multitude of profound insights. By embracing the diverse recommendations within these pages, one may unlock a series of existential revelations that have the potential to reshape their perspective on reality.

Please add your review to the Amazon listing. It makes a difference!

Random rotation of
TAT Foundation Books & Videos

Solid Ground of Being by Art Ticknor

Read more: Solid Ground of Being by Art Ticknor

2024 TAT Meeting Calendar

** January TAT Talks online event: January 27, 2024 at 12 PM ET **
February Virtual Gathering: Saturday, February 24, 2024
April Gathering: Friday evening through Sunday noon, April 12-14, 2024
June Gathering: Friday evening through Sunday noon, June 14-16, 2024
August Gathering: Friday evening through Sunday noon, August 16-18, 2024
November Gathering: Friday evening through Sunday noon, November 8-10, 2024

Comments or questions? Please email TAT Foundation events.

Photo of TAT’s open door by Phil Franta

TAT’s YouTube Channel

Have you seen the TAT Foundation’s YouTube channel? Subscribe now for spiritual inspiration (and irritation)!

Volunteers have been updating the channel with hours of new content! They’ve also curated some great playlists of talks by Richard Rose, teacher talks from recent & not so recent TAT meetings, episodes of the Journals of Spiritual Discovery podcast, and other great TAT related videos from around the internet.

Featuring: Richard Rose, Bob Cergol, Shawn Nevins, Bob Fergeson, Mike Conners, Anima Pundeer, Norio Kushi, Paul Rezendes, Bob Harwood, Tess Hughes, Art Ticknor, Shawn Pethel, Tyler Matthew and other speakers.

This month’s video is from a talk by Shawn P. at TAT’s August 2022 gathering at the TAT Center:

Local Group News

(Groups with recently updated information are listed first. Click the “read more” link to see a complete listing of local groups. )

Update from the New York City self-inquiry group:
The New York City Self-Inquiry group meets by Zoom every Monday from 6-8 PM EST. You can use this link. Our format is inspired by Art Ticknor’s self-inquiry retreats, giving equal time for each person to answer a spiritual, philosophical, or personal “question of the week.” By asking questions, we practice being sincere and reminding one another about the great mysteries of life.
A member of the NYC Self-Inquiry group has started a blog. The goal is to interview people about their beliefs about life, what they’ve learned, what they want to share, and what they think might be useful to others. Available at: https://interviewingmyfriends.blogspot.com/.
~ More details, as well as our weekly discussion topics, are available on our MeetUp page (first link above) and via email at .

Update for the Online Self-Inquiry Book Club:
> The next book is The Most Direct Means to Eternal Bliss by Michael Langford. The plan is to read 2 chapters at a time meeting first and third Sundays from 2:00 PM ET–3:30 PM ET:
– Sun, Jan 7: Chapters 11 & 12.
– Sun, Jan 21: Chapters 13 & 14.
For more information on book club participation, see the meeting website (link above).
TAT Forum readers are welcome to drop in any time (invitation to Sunday meetings).

Update from the Pittsburgh, PA self-inquiry group:
> In-person meeting: Mon, Jan 15, 2-4PM: Dobrá Tea Pittsburgh, 1937 Murray Ave, Squirrel Hill
> In-person meetings 1st Mondays 2-4 pm Squirrel Hill Public Library meeting room. Monthly Monday evening meetings at Panera, Blvd of Allies in Oakland, near the college campuses.
> Online group confrontation and individual contributions every Wed, 8:00 pm ET via Zoom.
> Use the e-mail link below for invitations to all meetings and to receive internal email announcements.
– Wed, Jan 3: Online meeting Topic TBD.
– Sun, Jan 7: Online Dan G’s Book Review 2PM: Michael Langford Ch 11 & 12.
– Wed, Jan 10: Online meeting topic TBD.
– Mon, Jan 15: In-person Meeting Squirrel Hill, 2-4PM (see note above).
– Wed, Jan 17: Online guest host: TBD.
– Sun, Jan 21: Online Dan G’s Book Review 2PM: Michael Langford Ch 13 & 14.
– Mon, Jan 22: In-person Oakland Meeting 7-9PM: email for details.
– Wed, Jan 24: Online guest Tyler M: Q’s, A’s, and What If’s.
– Wed, Dec 27: Online Guest Speaker Tyler M.
– Sun, Jan 28: Combined confrontation meeting with the Irish group 2-4 PM ET.
> All Forum subscribers are welcome to join us.
Email to receive weekly topics with preparatory notes and Zoom invitations. Current events are listed on Meetup as Pittsburgh Self-inquiry Group and on www.pghsig.org.

Update from the Raleigh, NC Triangle Inquiry Group:
We continue to meet on the first and third Tuesday of the month via Zoom. We usually have four to eight participants and new members are welcome. Except for a brief hiatus, we’ve been meeting regularly since the late 1990’s. Our main focus is on looking at beliefs that can get us stuck in habitual ways of thinking which can limit the possibility of seeing the true nature of things. Although I act as a sort of MC in our meetings, there’s no teacher or group leader and we all try to help each other in the search for the Real. ~ Email for more details.

Read More

Members-Only Area

A password-protected section of the website is available for TAT members. (Note that there’s an occasional glitch that, when you try to link to the members-only area or a sections within it, you’ll get a page-not-found error. If you try the link a second time, it should work.) Contents include:

• How you can help TAT and fellow seekers,
  • Audio recordings of selected sessions from 2008–2019 in-person meetings and from February and November 2021 Zoom meetings,
  • Resources and ideas for those planning a group spiritual retreats,
  • Photographs of TAT meeting facilities, the Richard Rose grave site, a rare 1979 photo, and aerial photos of the Rose farm,
  • Presenters’ talk notes from April TAT meetings in 2005–2007, and
  • TAT News Letters from 1996–2013 and Annual Retrospectives from 1973 thru 2011. The Retrospectives from 1973–1985 were written by Richard Rose and are replete with ideas on the workings of a spiritual group—rich historical content.
  • TAT policies, TAT business meeting notes, and other information.

Latest recordings:

TAT’s November 2021 online gathering, titled What Do You Really, Really Want From Life?: 3.5 hours of selected sessions.

In Thought, Word and Deed : 2.5 hours of selected sessions.

TAT’s August 2019 Workshop was titled Beyond Mindfulness: Meditation and the Path Within and included three guest speakers who each led separate workshops. The following audio recordings are now available in the members-only website area:

• “Mindfulness. Is it just another spiritual buzzword?” with Bob Cergol,
  • “The Path of Direct Sensory Perception” with Bob Harwood, and
  • “The Art of Mindfulness is the Passion for Truth” with Paul Rezendes.

TAT’s June 2019 Spiritual Retreat Weekend was titled Between You and the Infinite. The following audio recordings are now available in the members-only website area:

• “Coming Home (aka The End of Seeking)” by Don Oakley, and
  • “What’s in the Way?” by Eshwar Segobind.

TAT’s April 2019 Spiritual Retreat Weekend was titled Once in a Lifetime is Now. The following audio recordings are now available in the members-only website area:

• “Recognizing the Human Dilemma” by Norio Kushi,
  • “Strategies for Self-Realization” by Bart Marshall,
  • Untitled session by Paul Hedderman, and
  • “A Session in the Now” by Paul Rezendes.

Please us if you have questions. (Look here for info on TAT membership.)

Amazon and eBay

Let your Amazon purchases and eBay sales raise money for TAT!

As an Amazon Associate, TAT earns from qualifying purchases made through the above link or other links on our website. Click on the link and bookmark it in your browser for ease of use.

TAT has registered with the eBay Giving Works program. You can list an item there and select TAT to receive a portion of your sale. Or if you use the link and donate 100% of the proceeds to TAT, you won’t pay any seller fees when an item sells and eBay will transfer all the funds to TAT for you. Check out our Giving Works page on eBay. Click on the “For sellers” link on the left side of that page for details.

Downloadable/rental versions of the Mister Rose video and of April TAT talks Remembering Your True Desire:

Read More

Your Contributions to TAT News

TAT founder Richard Rose believed that working with others accelerates our retreat from untruth. He also felt that such efforts were most effective when applied with discernment, meaning working with others on the rungs of the ladder closest to our own. The TAT News section is for TAT members to communicate about work they’ve been doing with or for other members and friends. Please your “ladder work” news.

Humor {(h)yo͞omər}

“One thing you must be able to do in the midst
of any experience is laugh. And experience
should show you that it isn’t real, that it’s a
movie. Life doesn’t take you seriously, so why
take it seriously.” ~ Richard Rose, Carillon

TAT vs. T.A.T.

The Lear/Yorkin company was known as Tandem Productions and was founded in 1958. Lear and talent agent Jerry Perenchio founded T.A.T. Communications (“T.A.T.” stood for the Yiddish phrase “Tuchus Affen Tisch”, which meant “Putting one’s ass on the line.”) in 1974, which co-existed with Tandem Productions and was often referred to in periodicals as Tandem/T.A.T. The Lear organization was one of the most successful independent TV producers of the 1970s. T.A.T. produced the influential and award-winning 1981 film The Wave about Ron Jones’ social experiment.

~ Thanks to Danny S. who sent this hilarious reference from the Norman Lear page on Wikipedia. Shawn Nevins commented: “Surely Richard Rose knew of this because a perfect corollary to Truth and Transmission is ‘Tuchus Affen Tisch.'” Lear passed away on December 5, 2023 (aged 101). Photo from Wikimedia Commons.

Bunburying

Jack: This ghastly state of things is what you call Bunburying, I suppose? [Bunburying: Avoiding one’s duties and responsibilities by claiming to have appointments to see a fictitious person.]

Algernon: Yes, and a perfectly wonderful Bunbury it is. The most wonderful Bunbury I have ever had in my life.

Jack: Well, you’ve no right whatsoever to Bunbury here.

Algernon: That is absurd. One has a right to Bunbury anywhere one chooses. Every serious Bunburyist knows that.

Jack: Serious Bunburyist! Good heavens!

Algernon: Well, one must be serious about something, if one wants to have any amusement in life. I happen to be serious about Bunburying [an imaginary activity Algernon invented]. What on earth you are serious about I haven’t got the remotest idea. About everything, I should fancy. You have such an absolutely trivial nature.

~ Thanks to Ike H. for this dialogue from Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest. Photo from Wikimedia Commons with the caption: “Still photograph from Act 1 of the original production of The Importance of Being Earnest (1895). It shows Algernon Moncrieff (left, played by Allan Aynesworth) refusing to return Mr Jack Worthing’s (Sir George Alexander) cigarette case until the latter explains the inscription therein.”

Chaos

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”

~ Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times: The Play. Thanks to Brett S. Photo by Etienne Girardet on Unsplash: a pile of rubber bands.

Inspiration & Irritation

Irritation moves us; inspiration provides a direction

Medical Story: Asperger’s And Me (Chris Packham Documentary)

For most of his life, broadcaster and naturalist Chris Packham didn’t tell anyone about the one thing that in many ways has defined his entire existence….

~ Comment from the Forum editor: This fellow strikes me as introspective and extremely honest. The kestrel story at 20:50 is very moving, as is Packham’s insight at 50:40: “I do feel I have this horror hanging over me that we’re making this program and I’m saying these things in an interval between disasters. I’m happy with my ability to manage my Asperger’s, and it allows me to do my job, and I’ve found someone who loves me, but there’s still one thing that I haven’t learned to deal with, and that is losing the things that I love…. I just don’t want to be a charlatan and to say that you know things are actually okay, in fact some things are better than okay, when in you, you know it’s all built on sand.”

Suchness

You came to mind today 
Dear, dear friend of recognition 
As having recently swallowed a bitter
pill of place-mark condition
Or maybe spat out having tasted
sweeter, My hope for you 

You came to mind today
With a sweep of relief 
From clever kindness and
comprehensions compelled speech 
Or an end to it, having felt resonant
call,
your own voice, 
My hope for you

You came to mind today 
With the scent of raspberries recalling
my youth
Where suchness grew, as moments,
along fence-lined alley, 
	air and sunlight warmed
what exposed,
As summers gait slowed, threatening a
stop to imposition 
Or maybe an end to it, My hope for you 

~ Thanks to Dan McLaughlin. Image by Leopictures from Pixabay

What Would You Tell Someone as Being the Most Important Thing to Do in Life?

The most important thing for someone to do in life is to contemplate the mystery of God. When I attended catechism class as a young boy, the question was put forth: “Why did God make you?” The correct answer was: “To know, love, and serve Him in this world.” What this entails is the main goal of life and to be sought after fervently. As I grow older, I understand this catechism question differently than how I understood it as a young boy and appreciate it better.

Now, I use the word “God” but do not know exactly what that is. It can be defined in many different ways. That is part of the mystery and something to be discerned as we contemplate this mystery. But for me, God is the very Source of our being. God is where we came from and where we are going after we die. Indeed, God not only is with us right now, but has always been there. However, we do not recognize it. It has been obscured. I believe that whatever we do in life, there is this inner longing to know the Source of our being. This longing has been obscured to various degrees as we face the challenges of daily living and are drawn to its joys while avoiding its sorrows, but down deep it exists in everybody.

It is our task in life to cultivate this longing through spiritual practice. Our lives are a mere interlude. We lose everything at death. All the things we thought we achieved in life, the things that gave us gratification and a sense of fulfillment, all the people we loved—all this comes to an end at death. Our mortal being amounts to nothing because we are impermanent and imperfect. Perfection and permanence exist only in God, the Ultimate Source.

But life is to be lived, with its joys and sorrows. It may take a great deal of experiencing sorrow in life to have enough dissatisfaction compelling you to seek the Source of your being. Live your life, for you are to love and serve God in this world as it says in the catechism but cultivate spiritual dissatisfaction so you will deepen your longing for God. Pray, meditate, and seek out enlightened teachers.

~ Thanks to Vince L. Photo by Kellee Halliburton on Unsplash.

On Studying With Legendary Acting Teacher UTA Hagen in New York City

As nominations for the 2023 Academy Awards are announced, The White Lotus actor F. Murray Abraham, who won the Best Actor Oscar in 1985 for his role as composer Antonio Salieri in Amadeus, reflects on how the award changed his life — and nearly cost him his career. In an NPR interview, Abraham had this to say:

It’s great to be liked by someone like Uta Hagen, and I was a favorite, and I became a monitor in her class…. And every student should keep this in mind: The more charismatic your teacher is, the more you will give up your own talent in order to please that teacher. And that’s the route I was taking. And at one point, after having studied with her for over a year, I was really lost. And at one point during an exercise, she stopped me and she said, “This actor has a great talent and he pisses all over it.” And that was the last class I ever had with her. She realized that I was losing it and she wanted to force me out of the class…. And as soon as I left her, I started finding my feet again. It’s an interesting lesson for everyone to learn…. I was shutting off my own instincts in order to do exactly what she was saying. That’s a dangerous path to follow.

~ Thanks to Shawn Nevins, who wrote the: “Quote above needs to be considered by spiritual students as well as acting students!”

Please your thoughts on the above items.

Reader Commentary

Encouraging interactive readership among TAT members and friends

A reader wrote that what would make the Forum more interesting would be:

Hearing from people who are searching—and have questions instead of those providing endless advice and “answers.” What challenges they are facing. What their doubts and questions are. How they perceive their path is going. What they are doing in their lives. Where they think they will end up, etc., etc.

Can you help make the Forum more interesting?

The Reader Commentary question for the January TAT Forum:

What Have You Come to Terms With?

Thanks to Brett S. for the question and a related short YouTube video. Responses follow:

From Paul Constant:

I’ve come to terms with:
– how little I know for sure.
– how much is out of my control.
– how a life lived through the eye of Reality didn’t meet my wildest imaginations.
– fear of life, love, and death–err, mostly.

I haven’t—and may never—come to terms with grief over lost loved ones and loving pets. Grief always steals a piece of my heart and inflicts a pain like no other.

From Andreas H:

Maybe what I have come to terms with is that I have yet to come to terms with quite a few things. At least I’m beginning to accept that I’m still carrying around all these vices; there’s still a lot of vanity there, still a wish to be right, to be loved, aversion to getting older and not having the same opportunities that I may have enjoyed in my twenties, and not attracting the type of women that I may wish. I have been trying to reason my way out of all of the above, attempting to apply wisdom teachings to whisk away these earthly concerns.

I’m coming to terms with the fact that it is not going to work. I will not be able to argue my way out of clutching to this earth-bound existence. There is some reconciliation in that fact.

From Patrick K:

“Come to terms with” is similar to me as “growing wise to”. Watching the video was kind of sad. There was the guy who took care of his mother for fifteen years, I think he said, give or take. He talks about not being able to find someone. But I don’t think that’s his problem, there are bus loads of women in every town. I feel that he carries some resentment from spending those last fifteen years not living the life his peers lived and therefore is bitter, feels he has missed out. He is telling himself this story of not being able to find someone as some kind of self-pitying, regret-filled mental loop. He seems to have gotten super sensitive about it. The mother who says that she will never find happiness is difficult to appraise, because she never defined what makes her happy, or defined the word “happiness” in and of itself. It is the classic spiritual feeling of finding that what you would have thought would have been fulfilling, turns out to be another dead end. Just keep turning over every other stone, don’t give up, is my advice.

The girl who says that she may never have friends strikes me as odd, when I get the feeling that if she wanted friends, she could have plenty of them. She never revealed what having friends would do for her, or the type of friends that she would like to have. Is it more convenient to not have friends, when you will have to invest energy and time in that direction? And would that be worth it really? The friends I tend to value the most are my self-inquiry friends; that’s a worthwhile investment and is a delight as far as I’m concerned. It is always great to meet new people, too, who are interested in this work. It always gives me the feeling that we are trying to help each other onto a life boat whilst lost in a stormy sea, and together we will be better equipped to find the mother ship/Self-realisation, when we put our heads together. I think that is a Gurdjieffian analogy.

The guy talking about racism has grown wise to it, he has seen that it is not personal to him, he sees that others of different races get the same treatment. He sees that it is just the way it is. I pick up the underlying desperation of these folks and a line from Bob Fergeson’s book The Listening Attention comes to mind: “… and they wonder why the unexamined life is a misery”.

I am most like the guy who says that he hasn’t come to terms with anything and just keeps on going. I hope that I am coming to terms with the sense that I will never truly deeply come to terms with anything until the Knower is known. Reminds me of the quote from the pyramid Zen poster: “Experience is a worthless and transient existence unless the Experiencer is known”. Really hope that I can feel the truth of this statement to the very core of my being so that it drives my meditations to look in that direction, so that I really grasp why I am meditating, why I am on a spiritual path and not just kind of “hanging out in some kind of spiritual limbo”.

From lenny3cents:

What Have I Come to Terms With? (over 71 yrs)

suffering – i have not just truly accepted all suffering from my past… but feel it all as a blessing
questions – i have no more questions… and not because i have “answers”
f.e.a.r. – i lost most all
my identity – i am what i am… but that is NOT what I AM

From Anonymous:

What I’ve been wrestling with for a long time now is that I will not make any real move to be with a woman (either short term or long term). I may put myself in harm’s way, approach, flirt—but that’s it, nothing more. The energy of attraction is there. I have tried to be honest with close friends, journaled, counseling, other spiritual approaches, for some years now—and I seem to not move or change.

From Art Ticknor:

Feeling like I hadn’t made any progress. Not long before self-realization, I felt that I was right back where I’d started seeking 25 year earlier: walking in circles in a dark room with one foot nailed down. States of mind and conscious states of being can change radically in a short time.

Going-within koan. In my decades of seeking, I adopted the conviction from Richard Rose that the answers I was looking for lay within. Until the final hour of my final solitary retreat, I didn’t have a clue about how to go within. In retrospect, I can recall stepping stones and tacks into the wind along my path and the event that triggered my breakthrough.

Lack of certainty. Before I met Mr. Rose, I was absolutely convinced it was impossible to know anything for sure. I didn’t see the contradiction in that belief. 🙂 After being around Rose for a while, my intuition admitted that it may be possible to know something for sure. Self-realization brought the conviction that there’s only one thing I can know for sure, and that’s what my real identity is.

From Mark W:

I’ve more or less come to terms with being more of a feeler than a thinker. I’ve said this several times in the last few years; nevertheless, often my experiences feel surprisingly new, different, or more intense than I’m used to. So, this feeling stuff is still a work in progress for so-called positive and negative experiences. The acceptance shows through my willingness to increasingly trust that I can safely feel and view my feelings despite any potential threats.

From Gavin A:

I would like to say that i have come to terms with the belief that life is not a race. It was hard for me to accept that. Some part of me always wanted to ‘get ahead’ of both myself and others. The quickest way to get there was by rushing and pushing everyday. I’m not sure if that ever did much good, but certainly caused a lot of problems within and outside too. Taking the time to look at and take each step is more efficient, and more rewarding.

From Anima Pundeer:

All beginnings have an end. You cannot find permanence in impermanence.

From Mark C:

I would say that I have come to terms with accepting my eventual mortality/impermanence. I lost my stepmother in March of 2020 to cancer, my dad in January 2021 to COVID, and my mother in November 2022 due to what I believe was a heart attack. I was also the executor for all 3 of their estates and in the process of cleaning up and finishing their affairs, I learned just how much most of us either avoid the subject of death or we tend to think we are never going to die so we procrastinate in dealing with our affairs. I had known about these concepts prior to losing my parents, but it made it very different when you viewed this all through your loved one’s perspectives. With the exception of my aunt, I am now the oldest in the family and that has severed the layer of security that allowed me to also procrastinate about the subject of my own death.

I also had two total knee replacements in 2023, both of which seemed to have made me feel in my early weeks of recovery as though I had less life force or I had become a shadow of my own self somehow. I have always tended to see myself as this physically strong and smart guy who seemed to be able to get my way through life by my own devices, but it became much clearer to me that not only was I not “in charge” of my life, but that it was quite possible that I was just another shadow in Plato’s Cave. It reminds me of Alfred Pulyan’s phrase in reference to death that “nothing of you will remain,” but what is this “you” thing, and was it ever really there in the first place?

Next Month

The Reader Commentary question for the February TAT Forum:

What practice aimed at self-definition comes easiest to you and which one is the most difficult for you?

Thanks to Jeroen V. Self-definition is a term used by Richard Rose for finding the truth of what we are at the core of being. Oxford Languages lists definitions for define: 1) state or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of, and 2) mark out the boundary or limits of.

Please your responses by the 25th of January, and indicate your preferred identification (the default is your first name and the initial letter of your last name). “Anonymous” and pen names are fine, too.

PS: What question(s) would you like to ask other TAT Forum readers?

Q: What are your thoughts on this month’s reader commentary? Please your feedback.

Richard Rose described a spiritual path as living one’s life aimed at finding the meaning of that life. Did you find anything relevant to your life or search in this month’s TAT Forum?

Galway Bay painting © Tess Hughes

We like hearing from you! Please email your comments, suggestions, inquiries, and submissions.

Sign up for notices of TAT’s four annual events and free monthly Forums by email on our contact page.

Founder’s Wisdom

Richard Rose (1917-2005) established the TAT Foundation
in 1973 to encourage people to work together on what
he considered to be the “grand project” of spiritual work.

Notes from a 1982 Winter Intensive, part 4

> Jan 20:

• Fear inserts itself on all levels
  • Overcome fear by
    • Self-inquiry
    • Devotion to a higher cause
    • Cultivation of courage
  • Manifestations of our chief feature1 are intricate … require lots of meditation to see
  • Hyperthyroids are not the most successful people; hypothyroids, once they have an idea in their minds, don’t have a lot of other things coming in to knock it out

> Jan 21:

• Schizoid nature of mind:
    • One part judges the cowardly part and condemns it
    • Self-castigation becomes an excuse not to change
    • To overcome this, stop confessing and start taking aggressive action
  • The best confrontation is indirect—a simple question; otherwise, mental shutters slam shut
  • The mind doesn’t want to review the past to look for mistakes; memory blanks become an excuse for not looking
  • Have to go back over our experiences and honestly evaluate errors [in order to see where corrective action was needed]

“I’ve been celibate for over 3 years but don’t see any particular increase in mental clarity. In fact, I characterize myself as mentally dead—no curiosity and a singular inability to look at myself. Tremendous frustration with meditation, which results in drowsiness most of the time. It occurs to me that these traits may be manifestations of a fear (cowardice) complex. Since I detest myself for being passive and cowardly, I cannot afford to look at myself honestly; recognition would threaten the status quo.” [Objective analysis or self-castigation?]

> Jan 23:

• A variation of the creation formula: To know, to dare, to do, and to be silent.
  • “Becoming” is becoming undistracted
  • Progress is being attentive to what you’re doing

> Jan 25th speculation: How does one go within? Apparently, through eliminating distraction … by being attentive to whatever you’re doing.

1 A term that comes from Gurdjieff’s teaching. Maurice Nicoll, in his Psychological Commentaries on the Teaching of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky, describes Chief Feature as the governor of personality, the ruler of one’s mundane self, which we have to struggle with in order to be free.

~ From Art Ticknor. Previous segment. To be continued….

Definition of Terms

Index of many of the key terms and principles in Rose’s work, with brief definitions, from Richard Rose’s Psychology of the Observer: The Path to Reality Through the Self by John Kent.

Jacob’s Ladder © 2001 Richard Rose. See this transcript of a talk on the topic by Rose.

Homing Ground Update

… A spot on earth where people can do retreats and hold
meetings; where the emphasis is on friendship and the search.

January 2024:

As we start the new year, December donations brought us to just over 20% of our 2023 fundraising goal of $15,750. The bulk of that total came from monthly, recurring donations. A big thank you goes to those core supporters who are there for TAT month in and month out, as well as all of you who choose monthly supporting memberships in TAT. These steady commitments are greatly appreciated and very helpful for TAT’s long-term planning.

An additional $152 came from Amazon purchases in 2024. This is a simple, no-cost way to support TAT but does require remembering to visit the TAT website first and use the Amazon link on this page before you put items in your cart: https://tatfoundation.org/support-tat/. Almost any product is eligible. For example, someone purchased toothpaste on Amazon, and TAT received $0.25 on that purchase.

In 2024, expect to see less frequent, but more effective, reminders of fundraising goals. I think these monthly reminders are a bit like that inspiring quote you put on the refrigerator—it works for a few days and then you don’t notice it anymore.

Thanks to all of you for making TAT the extraordinary organization it is, and best wishes for the new year.

Sincerely,
Shawn Nevins

PS: Monthly contributions are a great way to support the TAT Center if making a larger one-time donation seems too much. If you’re so inspired, click the Donate button below, then check the box for “Make this a monthly donation” as in the example below:

Let’s bring this to life! “The job is upon us,” Richard Rose said, “and it is worthwhile.” To contribute to the TAT Center, mail a check made out to the TAT Foundation to:

TAT Foundation
PO Box 3402
Roxboro, NC 27573

Big checks, little checks, all are welcome. Or use the PayPal link above (though we lose 2.2% of your donation to PayPal fees).

* See photos and more on the Homing Ground page. *

Did you enjoy the Forum? Then buy the book!
Readers’ favorite selections from seven years of issues.
Beyond Mind, Beyond Death is available at Amazon.com.

TAT Foundation on FacebookTAT Foundation channel on YouTubeTAT Foundation on Instagram